Customer Care Support Center

What documentation should children present?

Since June 26, 2012, in order to travel to or from Europe, all European citizens who are minors must have a personal identity document (passport or National ID, based on the destination). From this date forward, minors can no longer be included in the passports of their parents. Passports are only valid for their owners, and any minor added to the document should have their own passport or identity document. Please check with your passport issuing office for more information.

French Routes

French minors under 18 years of age must travel with: (i) passport or (ii) National ID (in the event that their destination countries do not require passports).
From January 15, for international flights and with a valid French ID Card for international travelers or valid French Passport, any unaccompanied minor must carry a travel permit. This document should be signed by both parents or legal guardians and be supported by a photocopy of a valid ID (or one that has been expired for less than 5 years) of said parents or legal guardians. For further information, contact the local French authority responsible.
The family register is not a valid identity document for French citizens who are minors. Therefore, minors are not permitted to fly on planes, even within continental France, without a National ID.

Italian Routes

Italian minors under 14 years of age can only fly duly accompanied and with one of the following types of identification:

  • An individual Italian National ID (national flights), which should be valid "per l'spatrio (for expatriation)" for international flights.

  • An Italian passport (national and international flights).

  • For international flights and along with the individual Italian National ID valid for international flights or a valid Italian passport, any minor under the age of 14 not accompanied by their parents or legal guardians should carry a travel permit (Dichiarazione di Acompagno”) stating the identity of their escort, which should be validated by the corresponding Italian local authority (“Questura local”). For more information, please check with the corresponding local Italian authority.

Spanish Routes

Spanish minors under the age of 14 are exempted from proving their identity, for domestic flights in Spain where their identity is stated in the reservation. In such cases, the person who is traveling should duly identified and should take responsibility for the minors. In the event of reasonable doubt regarding the identity of these minors or of their companions, the following is requested:

  • If they travel with one of their parents, the family book.

  • If the person who accompanies the minor is not one of the parents or legal guardian, the minor should show a permit certified by a police department (by means of the appearance of the parents or legal guardian) in the name of the person who will be responsible for their custody during the trip, which will be corroborated with this person's National ID or passport.

For international flights (EU or Other Countries), all minors (whether accompanied or not and regardless of their age) should show their National ID or valid passport, depending on their destination.

Starting September 1, 2019: Spanish authorities will require that all Spanish minors travelling alone or accompanied by third parties who are not parents or guardians have a travel permit issued by one of the following: Police, Civil Guard, Notary's Office or Town Hall, requested in person by the parents or legal guardians.

Croatian Routes

Children between 14 and 18 who travel to or from Croatia without their parents or legal tutors should bring with them: (i) a valid passport or (ii) a National ID issued by the government, together with a written permit signed by the parents or legal guardians. This permit should be certified by a Croatian embassy or consulate or by local authorities. If not, an official sworn translation into Croatian will be required.

Greek Routes

Greek minors under 18 years of age who travel from Greece without their parents or legal guardians should bring with them: (i) a valid passport or (ii) a National ID issued by the government, together with a written permit signed by the parents or legal guardians. This permit should be certified by the Greek police.
In any event, they will be asked to prove their age. Therefore, they will have to present valid travel documents at the boarding gate. 

Greek minors under 12 years of age travelling with their parents or guardian on a domestic route can travel with the health booklet or birth certificate (even no picture included).

For further information about travel documentation, click here or check our Carriage Conditions

Didn't find an answer?
seconds ago
a minute ago
minutes ago
an hour ago
hours ago
a day ago
days ago
Invalid characters found